Friday, August 27, 2010
vanilla sour cream cake
My apologies for breaking so long between blogs - after all the excitement of party preparation, the execution was let's say, a little disappointing :( We ran out of time and couldn't prepare as much of our own food as hoped and one of the cakes was an absolute disaster! It's a good lesson for next year - make sure to leave enough time to bake AND decorate the cake! So these things aside, there was one suprise beauty that came out of all these parties and it was this lovely vanilla cake.
Keeps in the fridge for 4 days
200g butter, softened
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
1 tbs vanilla essence
1 3/4 cups self raising flour
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius and grease and line a round cake tin.
2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time and beat until combined.
4. Add half of flour, half of sour cream and half of milk and gently mix to combine then add remaining flour, sour cream and milk and beat until thoroughly combined.
5. Spread into prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cooked.
*when cooled completely, decorate with halved strawberries and dust with icing sugar.