On a wild and woolly day such as this, I am happy to be taking my in-laws out to lunch for their birthdays and inviting them back to our place for cake and coffee - it's also a great opportunity to sample this new recipe!
Keeps 4 days covered in the fridge
200g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1tsp coconut essence
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
400ml coconut cream
125g cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tbs lemon curd
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line a deep round cake tin.
2. Cream butter, sugar and essence for around 3 minutes or until pale.
3. Add eggs and beat until combined.
4. Add half the flour and half the coconut cream and mix until combined then add remaining flour, coconut cream and coconut.
5. Pour into prepared tin and bake for approximately 1 hour or until cooked through.
6. Cool in pan for 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. When cooled, spread with frosting.
To make frosting
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
*The tangy lemon flavour contrasts the creaminess of the coconut cake perfectly however if you don't have lemon curd, use the juice of half a lemon a couple of teaspoons of grated lemon rind instead.